Flour Bluff Junior High has been designated a Purple Star Campus by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for meeting the unique needs of military-connected students and their families. This is the second year in a row that a Flour Bluff ISD school has received the statewide award.
The Purple Star Campus Designation recognizes Texas school district and open-enrollment charter school campuses that show their support and commitment to meeting the unique needs of military-connected students and their families. TEA accepted applications for the 2021-2022 school year from April 5, 2021, through June 1, 2021.
For campuses to apply for the designation and demonstrate they have met the following established criteria:
- Designating a campus-based military liaison;
- Creating and maintaining an easily accessible web page that includes information for military-connected students and their families;
- Implementing a campus transition program; and
- Offering at least one of the following initiatives:
- A resolution showing support for military-connected students and families;
- Participation in Month of the Military Child or Military Family Month; or
- Partnership with a school liaison officer to encourage and provide opportunities for active-duty military members.
The Purple Star Designation was created by the 86th Texas Legislature through SB 1557. Campuses that satisfy the criteria and are awarded the Purple Star Campus Designation are eligible to recertify the designation every two school years. TEA will provide Flour Bluff Junior High with a special Purple Star recognition to display.